New Mexico InFocus producer Sarah Gustavus interviewing Bob Perls,Â Founder, New Mexico Open Primaries, February 2, 2016 on PBS/KNME-TV
New Mexico Open Primaries (NMOP) is a movement of diverse New Mexicans who believe in a simple, yet radical idea: no New Mexican should be required to join a political party to fully and fairly exercise their right to vote.
To encourage more voter participation and candidate participation and reward coalition building and problem solving among elected officials by ensuring that ll eligible citizens can exercise their right to vote in every public election.
- To advocate for the immediate passage of legislation that will allow independent voters to vote in partisan primaries.
- To advocate for the adoption of a non-partisan redistricting commission so that the power to create legislative districts is removed from incumbent politicians (end gerrymandering).
- To ensure that independent and minor party candidates have equal ballot access.
- To use thoughtful, well-reasoned legal challenges to open up primaries and force the legislature to take action on other reforms NMOP supports.
- To facilitate conversation and eventual adoption of ranked choice voting for all public elections.
New Mexico Open Primaries is a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization: promoting the common good and general welfare of the people of New Mexico.
Sign Up for Email Updates!